Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Break from the Ordinary

For awhile now, I have been wanting to make an actual cake. I love cupcakes and they can be made to look pretty amazing but nothing really compares to the look of a beautiful homemade cake sitting on a cake stand. I took out the trusty Southern Cakes book and with some internal debate and a bit of outside help decided on a lovely fall flavor combination - pumpkin raisin cake with lemon cream cheese frosting. It sounded like a carrot cake but with pumpkin instead of carrot. But it didn't taste a whole lot like carrot cake once it was done.
After the cakes were baked and cooled and the frosting made, I got to play with some of my new cake-decorating toys from IKEA. I used the wire cake cutter to make a beautiful four-layer cake rather than just a boring two-layer. Stacking the layers was a bit of a challenge but with the help of Ben and a couple spatulas, I managed to stack each layer on top of the one beneath it. I then covered the whole cake with frosting and put chopped pecans around the side and a couple candied lemon slices on top. It looked beautiful (hopefully I can put a picture up here soon).
The only thing left to do was to eat it. We had to wait until after dinner for that, but it was well worth the wait. The lemon n the cream cheese frosting brought out the pumpkin so well. A great way to experience the tastes of fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment