Saturday, October 16, 2010

SHOWing off

Today I made cupcakes for the Reflect show tonight. It was an all day ordeal but definitely worth it. I started making a basic yellow cupcake with a vanilla bean buttercream. Sounds simple, right? The catch is that I made 20 cupcakes into depiction of the shows banner - a twitter bird with hills in the background. I wasn't completely satisfied since spaces were still left between the cupcakes. To cover those I probably would have needed a thicker buttercream and more of it. However, it was still recognizable and received a good reception. I was able to break in the cake decorating kit I got from Ikea which made me happy.
While the first set of cupcakes were in the oven, Ben and I worked on the next batch - chocolate and heath bar. I hadn't tried a chocolate before and normally don't like chocolate cake so I knew this was risky. To top those off, we tried a new frosting recipe from Cooks magazine (the same place I got my cupcake recipe from) and rolled the edges in Heath bits. We were in a hurry so we quickly picked up the kitchen, loaded the cupcakes in the box and hopped in the car. Transport was a little tricky, but we managed.

I set up a little table complete with business cards at the show and prepared to sell cupcakes that I'd never tried before which was a little risky. Unfortunately, less people were showing up than expected. Halfway through the first performance, Ben and I decided to try a bit of our work... and it was AMAZING. I don't want to toot my own horn too much, but those chocolate heath cupcakes were incredible. In the end, most of the cupcakes got eaten. Although many were given away for free,  I consider Cutecakes Cupcakery's first event a success!
Be sure to check out the new poll on the left side of the page. In the spirit of the show, I want to know how many of my readers have a Twitter.

show flyer and my rendition of it

No comments:

Post a Comment